CCPA commissioned an expert review on Wooli beach and options for defending it. This was conducted by ASR Ltd, an international firm specialising in the design and implementation of solutions for coastal protection.
Their report, Wooli Beach Erosion, Moving forwards concluded that many defensive options are available. However, there is very little information about Wooli beach processes upon which to choose the best beach protection strategy. Their key recommendation: get the data, analyse it to understand the beach, then choose the solution(s).
The research data we need is planned to come from at least five sources. These are
1. Beach Surveys to accurately plot the changing shape of the dunes and beach each quarter and after major weather events
2. Automated photography from atop the water tower and from Wilson’s Headland to track changes to the beach and see wave patterns
3. Bathymetry or mapping of the land under the waters of Wooli bay to show us how the sandbars shift and change
4. Waves and currents to be measured with equipment above and below the water
5. and Historical anecdotal evidence and photographs from people who know Wooli beach well and have seen it during good times and bad.
As we progressively collect data from each of these sources the results will be collated and presented on the website so that members can stay in touch with our growing knowledge base.